John, who sadly died on Christmas day, was the Rector of our Chaplaincy Church, St Olave’s in Hart Street, London from 1991 to 2005. And, as such was our Honorary Chaplain for the whole of that period, being a great supporter of the Company, attending many of our functions, and, especially allowing us to hold our Installation Court in the Church, which included the blessing of the Company’s badges of office. He retired from St Olave’s in 2005 and settled in Romney Marsh, Kent, later moving to Exeter to be near family.
Born in 1932 in London, he studied classics at Kings College, Cambridge, and during National Service trained as a Russian Interpreter. In 1955 he went to Lincoln Theological College and his first curacy was in Leigh. He married Margaret in 1961 and they had four children. His first post as a vicar was in Bolton, and later moved to Southport were he spent 16 happy years. On moving to St Olave’s he became chaplain to the Clothworkers Company, Tower Ward Club, the Wine and Spirit trade and the Royal Shakespear Company at the Barbican, as well as our Company. In 1996-97 he was chaplain to the then Lord Mayor, Sir Roger Cork, an Honorary Assistant of our Company before he died.
He was also a member of the Upholders Livery Company, and was Senior Warden expecting to become Master, but in 2008 suffered a minor stroke and had to stand down.
The funeral took place at Exeter Cathedral on 12 January 2018.