Highlights of my year:
My year as Master 1997-98 was a wonderful time for Janet and I, and not only because we had the privilege and benefit of being a good friend with the Lord Mayor, Sir Roger Cork (pictured with Terry and Janet) and his Sheriffs who entertained us around the City during his year in office.
There were so many memorable moments, so I’ve picked out just a few highlights:
- Supporting Lord Mayor in Guild Hall during his appointment process.
- Carriage procession during the Lord Mayor’s Parade.
- Installation Banquet with the Lord Mayor present at the Mansion House.
- Lunch with Sheriffs and Judges at the Old Bailey.
- Attendance at one of the Queen’s Garden Parties.
- Co-founding the British Cleaning Council (BCC) and Chairing British Council Exhibitions Ltd (BCCE) for six years, returning £000s in funding to the industry in general.
- Introducing an Environmental Cleaners exhibition stand at our annual national cleaning exhibition.
- Clay Pigeon Shoot: Flying the Lord Mayor accompanied by Sheriffs and Deputy Master, Janet and I meeting them on landing.
- Hosting a special lunch for the Lord Mayor in the City supported by Masters and Clerks from all his Livery Companies following his charitable bike ride from John O’Groats to Land’s End.
- Working with my Clerk John S Holt who did more than most to make the Environmental Cleaners “fit for purpose” enhancing our livery status over his years of service.
- Supporting and attending many charitable events during my year.