What is a Livery Company and what does it do?
- The history of Livery Companies goes back to the middle ages and the trade guilds as they were then were set up to protect their members and their trade and to ensure that good quality work was turned out by well trained craftsmen.Modern Companies apply their Charity more to established good causes than to their own members these days.
What are the benefits from being a member?
- The most often quoted benefit is ‘networking’ but being part of an organisation of like minded individuals is supportive. Being part of the long history of the City and its traditions is uplifting and to be part of the biggest Charity-funding group in the UK is fulfilling.
How do I join?
- Please contact the Clerk, Keith Lambert, Clerk to the Company, 10 Seaton Close, Lynden Gate, Putney ,SW15 3TJ. Telephone 020 8704 1515 / 07909 818183
Or email email@example.com. Please note that electronic communication is perfectly acceptable.Your application will be passed to the Chairman of the membership Services committee for processing.
How long will it take before I become a Liveryman?
- You should be familiar with the Company and have made close contact with a number of other members from your attendance at Luncheons and Dinners and by being involved with Company activities before accepting a call to be ‘Clothed in Livery’. It will be about a year before you become a Liveryman.
How much will it cost in the first year?
- The first year will cost about £1500 but efforts are being made to reduce this figure. There is a joining “fine” of £350 for a Freeman and you will be asked to pay, at the same time the “fine” for admission as a Liveryman of £350.
At the time of Admission as a Freeman the first “Quarterage” payment falls due of £195. This is an annual payment notwithstanding the term Quarterage.You will also be expected to make an annual donation to Charity of at least £100 as an individual or if your Company pays £250.In addition to the above amounts you will be expected to attend at least four functions which have a total ticket price of about £500.Whilst your continued active participation is anticipated the costs involved in years following the granting of Livery could be maintained at a level of the Quarterage only.
How many events do I have to attend each year and how much does it cost?
- The Company holds two banquets, four lunches and a Livery-only dinner, an awards luncheon and other functions from time to time. Generally the Banquet tickets are priced at about £120 and the lunches at £70. These prices may vary depending on costs of hall hire and catering.
Members are encouraged to attend every event. However members are expected to attend the Installation Banquet, The Military Awards Luncheon, The Ladies Banquet and the Livery-only dinner.
How do I get sponsors for my application?
- You should make efforts to contact existing members of the Court to Sponsor your application and try to get to know the Livery itself. You should familiarise yourself with the Livery movement in the City of London and what the Environmental Cleaners Company has as its focus.
How do I progress to serve on the Court?
- To progress to the Court you should have served a term on one of the working Committees and additionally on the Finance and General Purposes committee.
How long do I have to serve before I get onto the progression list to becoming Master?
- You must have been a member (Liveryman) for at least 5 years. Once on the progression list you would normally serve several years on the Court before reaching Junior Warden. The progression is then Senior Warden then Master and then Deputy Master.
What military affiliations do you have?
- We are affiliated to the RAMC, the RAF EH cadre and the SELACF. Recently we have gained affiliation with the London Wing of the ATC
Where do the Trustees’ charity donations go?
- The focus of the Trustees is to fund charities in the London region and the City if possible. The activities involved should be educational and be offered to disadvantaged young people.
How much does it cost to be Master for one year?
- This is a very variable figure depending on your involvement and your donations. It could be anything from £5k upwards.
How do I get chosen to serve on a Committee?
- Your name will be put forward by members of the Court to the Officer meeting which is held in December each year. They will consider your application and you may well be interviewed by them. Your name, if recommended will but put before the February Election Court for consideration.
Am I expected to give an annual donation to the Company Charity fund and if so how much?
- Yes you are expected to give a donation annually. It would be normal to give £100 as an individual and £250 if your Company is sponsoring your membership. The payment can be arranged using a Standing Order which allows you to retain control of the amounts to be debited from your account (and when). You may also pay by cheque or by a bank transfer. Please ask the Clerk if you wish to use these alternative methods.
Can my business organisation join?
- No. Application can only be accepted from individuals. It does not matter however who pays the Fines and annual Quarterage.
Where else can I get information about the Livery movement?
- The Clerk of the Company has much information on the City and the Livery movement and can recommend some excellent books.